Protect personal assets from potential creditors and liabilities by producing your independent film through a separate legal entity. Organize as a limited liability company, or incorporate. Get legal advice on your best choice, the deliverables you need to operate, and the confidence that comes from launching your project properly.
- Access to private Check In client portal for secure communication and easy project management.
- Consultation and attorney advice on choosing most appropriate legal entity.
- Drafting and filing of Articles of Organization or Incorporation with applicable Secretary of State.
- Preparing and filing application for federal employer identification number.
- Drafting Limited Liability Company Operating Agreement or corporate Bylaws.
- Drafting Resolution of Incorporator (if applicable).
- Drafting initial corporate resolutions and written consents (if applicable).
- Preparing and filing business registration with applicable county.
Chain of Title
Review and advise on script copyright clearance and fair use. Secure film rights in underlying properties and creative assets. Document contractual relationships with writers and other collaborators. Get the work done to prepare a film that can be entered, screened, and distributed.
- Negotiation and drafting of option-purchase agreements for literary property rights.
- Negotiation and drafting of screenwriter agreements.
- Preparing and filing screenplay and print registrations with Copyright Office (filing fees not included).
- Evaluating script for standard clearance issues.
- Preparing and advising on Clearance Report.
- Evaluating alternative names, locations, logos, or other items identified as not clear.
- Drafting legal opinion letter for use in Errors and Omissions (“E&O”) application.
Document and negotiate key contractual relationships from above the line talent and crew through production, post, and music. Handle union signatory paperwork and advise on compliance. Provide preproduction attorney advice and “on set” advice during principal photography for unexpected issues such as insurance claims and city permits. We’re there for you.
- Negotiation and execution of contracts for producer, executive producer, director, and casting director.
- Negotiation and execution of contracts for above the line talent.
- Preparation and submission of applicable union signatory paperwork.
- Negotiation and execution of non-union template agreements for below the line crew and day players.
- Negotiation and execution of location agreements.
- Negotiation and execution of music licenses and composer agreement.
- Negotiation and execution of editor and visual effects artist agreements.
- Preparation and submission of E&O insurance application.
- Access to private Check In client portal for secure attorney messaging and quick answers.
- Up to two hours of attorney advice for production-related legal issues or questions.
Prepare your independent film for a smooth entry to festivals and protect yourself contractually for a safe landing when dealing with distributors.
- Drafting and negotiation of producer’s representative/agency agreement (if applicable).
- Drafting and negotiation of domestic distribution agreements.
- Drafting and negotiation of foreign distribution agreements.
- Attorney advice and representation regarding collection account management agreement.
- Attorney consultation regarding sales agent and distributor reporting and other compliance.
- Attorney advice and representation regarding self-distribution and Print and Advertising (“P&A”) financing.
Inspiration Spaceship can also represent your independent film in obtaining equity and debt financing, preparing investor/financier agreements, drafting your Private Placement Memorandum (“PPM”), and supervising closure of your investment transactions. We offer flexible fee billing structures including value based pricing and budget percentages, and we can manage your production’s offering from start to finish. If your film needs more extensive or tailored production counsel services, please feel free to schedule a complimentary attorney consultation.